Avon Dassett with
The Parish of Avon Dassett with Fenny Compton; Fenny Compton is a thriving village of around 800 people. The neighbouring village of Avon Dassett has around 200 residents and includes St John the Baptist's Church, which is maintained by the Churches Conservation Trust. Amenities in the parish include the Parish Church of St Peter and St. Clare, and Methodist Chapel, The Dassett Church of England Primary School, Abacus day nursery, a Surgery, a Co-op, Fire station and village Hall. On alternate years we hold the Church Fete and Open Gardens with a flower display in the Church which local businesses support. The proceeds are split between the Church and the Village Hall.
St. Peter & St. Clare
St Peter and St Clare,
There is no car park. Please use off road parking.
Every Sunday 11am
Holy Communion - Modern Language
Traditional Language Book of Common Prayer
Fenny Compton Village Hall
on the last Monday of each month 12 noon to 1.30pm
A time to catch up with friends over a light lunch. Homemade soup and a roll, cheese, tea, coffee and homemade cake available.
Proceeds go towards church funds.
This is not running at the moment due to COVID19 restrictions.
Mrs Lesley Bosman
Mr Keith Distin
The churchwarden is an annually elected member of the church community - congregation. They are work with the parish priest and are generally responsible for the day-to-day functioning of the parish.
Name: Mrs Jo Hotchkiss
Safeguarding Congregation Link
Name: Mrs Rose Dunn
Name: Reverend Nicki Chatterton
Role: Vicar to Dassett Magna Parishes
Name: Sarah Price
Role: Diocesan Safeguarding Advisor
Tel: 07906 627052
Local Authority Social Services
Coventry - 024 7683 2222
Fenny Compton PCC
- Parochial Church Council -
The Parochial Church Council, is the governing body of the church and is made up of the clergy and lay members from the congregation. They work together with the priest and church warden to ensure the smooth running of the church.
A masterpiece of the Gothic Revival
This Victorian church, with its soaring spire, is a masterpiece built in fourteenth-century Gothic style and is set amongst trees in the Avon Dassett hills - a lovely place for a walk.
Charles Buckeridge built it in golden Hornton sandstone in 1869 to replace a medieval church, which east window he reset in the west wall of the tower.
The high-ceilinged interior is inspiring and the style throughout is largely fourteenth century. The chancel remains a good example of a properly furnished sanctuary of the period, with oak altar and choirstalls, three stone seldilia and a grey Purbeck marble reredos with a cross at the centre. A recess in the north wall of the chancel contains the fine tomb of a deacon, thought to be Hugo who died in c. 1240.
There are occasional services held at St. John the Baptist but there is no regular service pattern.
Any planned services will be posted here as and when they are planned.
For the regular pattern of church services within the Parish please see the service rota for Fenny Compton above. Alternatively for services held in all the Dassett Magna churches please click the link below.